Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Similarities and Differences

Although Coco flew away last Thursday, I had to wait until today before I could even bother myself with writing anything about it. I sat down and wrote the last post, and this one, out in one go.

Coco was a beautiful bird, and I saved several of her feathers because their patterns were so unique.

I thought I would never see her feathers again. I thought I would never see her again, half running, half flying across the yard when she knew there were treats.

And yet, today I took a look at Qwerty's feathers. Her wing and tail feathers are a solid, oily black, but the smaller feathers have the same pattern as Coco's did. They were black and white, like a Xerox copy of the original, but they still had that same beauty.

Coco, being a "mixed-breed hen," has what I discovered is a rather common coloring. I've already met two "Coco look-alikes" so far. What I noticed is that Coco is generally darker and slimmer than her little doppelgangers. So very similar, yet so very different.

There are plenty of hens out there with brownish-gray feathers, spots and stripes, but only one of them was my Coco.

No comments:

Post a Comment